Classes & Lectures
Working from a fat quarter, this class will introduce working with multiple fibers and embellishments. Instruction on couching, needle felting, hot-fix crystals, use of organza and toile, and beading will be given.
- Sewing machine in good working order
- Standard sewing machine foot – capable of zig-zag stitch
- Piecing foot – 1/4 inch
- Free motion foot
- Basic sewing supplies – scissors, rotary mat and rotary cutter, etc.
- Small iron and ironing surface
- 3 fabrics – recommend 2 fat quarters and 1 3/4 to 1 yard piece. Fabrics should coordinate but be three different values (light, medium and dark)
- Thread for piecing and embellishing
- Bring the right needles for the threads (metallic needles if metallic thread is to be used) Recommend size 90/14 needles.
- Cotton batting at least 30×20 inches
- Netting (color to blend with fabrics) at least 30 X 20 inches
- Sewing machine extension table highly suggested
- Beads with beading needles (Recommend cotton thread for beading)
- Paper crafting brads and embellishments
- Angelina fibers
- Wool roving with felting needles and foam
- Hot fix crystals with heat set tool
- Nontraditional fabrics – ie silk, velvet, organza
- Fusible web
Some of the optional supplies will be made available the day of class for an additional fee.
Here are some other samples of embellished small quilts.
Here are some students work!